What to do when doubt is robbing your destiny?
But when you ask, you must believe and not doubt, because the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea, blown and tossed by the wind. That person should not expect to receive anything from the Lord. Such a person is double-minded and unstable in all they do.
Good morning sweet friends, This may be much to digest for a Monday, but I was thinking that it is common to start diets on Mondays, so perhaps we are embarking upon a No Doubt Diet, if you will. And sometimes it takes the hard truth to push us to the edge, where we finally embrace a new way to live or new vision or something more. Something to cause us to turn....
I think we make excuses far too often for our indecisiveness and confusion and uncertainty. Do I choose this? Or that? I believe one day fully and wholeheartedly and then the next I am tossed in a sea of worry and doubt and perhaps a moment of depression invades my thoughts. And I am paralyzed by indecisiveness. Sound familiar?
In the South, we are known to skirt around the truth, and we justify patterns simply to keep from offending....It's okay, honey, every body has been where you are. You are entitled! Depression and anxiety are normal; every woman needs some "happy pills!" Indecisiveness is part of being a woman. Hormones, ya' know?
James, we could say, is far from the Southern gentlemen overstepping rules of courtesy set in place not to offend and going right for the jugular with Truth......
You are double minded!
It isn't okay or good or justified by hormones. It is what has kept you living in a sea of despair anchored in by doubt. Aren't you tired of it, already? I can almost hear him interjecting at the local women's auxiliary meeting. Enough!
Since we have all been here, and since we are all tired already, what do we do from here? So I prayed this over today, and this is what I felt He shared with my heart and so I share this with you;)
1. Anchor yourself in Truth. Everyday impress His Words upon your heart. Take weeds of doubt and replace them with seeds of truth. Read a Psalm every day to start if you aren't sure where to begin, but get in His Word. Truth sets us free (John 8:32). No excuses, the Truth becomes the "happy pill!"
2. Wrap yourself in His goodness! Remind yourself of what He has done to show His love for you, His provision, and His presence, and let that JOY carry you.....the joy of the Lord is my strength. Stand firm knowing He is the same (Hebrews 13:8) and His love never fails!
3. Learn the art of Binding and Loosing. He says the fruit of MY spirit is love and peace and joy and kindness and gentleness and self control. There is no mention of doubt or despair or anger or malice or jealousy, so when those thoughts not of God linger, bind them up and cast them to the throne of God, and loose the things of heaven that were freely given to us at the cross of Jesus Christ our Savior (Matthew 18:18)! The kingdom of heaven is at hand (Matthew 10:7), and it is time we walk in that authority....doubt is bound here!
4. Guard your heart by the company you keep. For many of us, one of the first lessons we were taught was....You are the company you keep. When your marriage is falling apart, the last place you should be is with a bunch of women who complain about their husbands. Likewise, when you are in despair, you don't seek company that enables your personal pity party. I read once that we should surround ourselves with the 5 people we seek most to be like. Get near those that are strong in faith, faithful to their marriage, and leaking joy instead of feeding doubt.
5. Seek His Plans Often, we put more emphasis on His plan for ME than on His plan for His kingdom. We do have a role, and it is unique and it is to be sought after, but sometimes we are paralyzed by indecisiveness spending too much time worrying over "all about ME decisions." I realize that some of these are big decisions, but honestly we have been plagued by failing marriages or careers or homes, because we have put so much value in ME and less value in our role in advancing the Kingdom. His plan is for you to find Him (Jeremiah 29:11-14). His plan for you is to feed His sheep (John 21:17). His plan is for you to make disciples of all nations (Matthew 28:19). His plan is your obedience (John 14). His plan is that you radiate His glory (2 Corinthians 3:18). However, how many of us live this plan in place of the quest for a soul mate and a dream home? And these are the vary things plaguing us with doubt......become less and He becomes more ......no doubt!:)
So I venture to ask you to join me, sweet friends, on a No Doubt Diet! I choose this day to not allow my destiny to be robbed by doubt. I choose to partake in the life He has promised. I choose to feast on the gifts imparted that allow me to take my role in advancing the Kingdom. I choose to become less each day so that He becomes MORE!
What will you choose?
Seek. Love. Follow.
In His Wings, Ro